Sunday, May 6, 2007

Prom, End of Year Celebrations in Houston

Wow! What a busy weekend here in West Houston. I chaperoned the 8th grade prom at my son's middle school on Saturday night. What a blast!

This generation dances differently than we old folks of yester-year. Although a few 70's and 80's nostalgia music was added in (remember John Travolta and "Staying Alive"?) the mix, most of the songs played consisted of rap and hip hop. I must say the dance moves on the floor, jumping from the bottom of the floor, up and back down again make my earlier punk rock days look mild. Fun was had by all, despite one pretend fight, one slam dance that ended up with one student again a pole (no injuries) and one attempt at doing a lollapaloosa by passing one student over the top of the crowd.

That got the teachers and principals moving into the middle of the crowd. Next thing you know they were out there in the middle dancing it up, doing some pretty good caricatures of what one of my co-workers calls "getting it on, man!" Trust me, dedicated parents, teachers and principals kept it all at a G rating.

Of other note this weekend was the end of the confirmation season at my son's church. By the end of the second church service today, a group of tired 8th graders were looking at all of their parents with major annoyance. If you had been a fly on the wall, the buzz would have been..."Why did my stupid parents put me through this, why are we still standing here, and quit taking my picture!" Teenagers, you gotta love them... Have a great week...it will be a relief to sit back down at my desk tomorrow for 30 second intervals! Take care, Terre

No comments: