Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ducklings on the bayou

I've waited 2-1/2 months for these ducklings to arrive. Once a week I walk along the bayou to see what has progressed. Two weeks ago I saw an old mallard male, the largest duck I have ever observed, with his young bride and her poor ugly duckling. Luckily, papa knew what he was doing, because young mama proved clueless in her parenting skills. Being a city gal, I have never seen ducks fly up close, because most of these city ducks have clipped wings. Not papa, he proudly spreads those wings and flies down into the water next to mother and child when they get a bit out of his comfort range.

This week I spotted another mama duck with 8 ducklings. Most were ugly ducklings, yet one fluffy yellow duckling stood out among the crew. I'm sure nature takes care of those ugly ducklings, by making them the color of the murky bayou water and giving them a respite from all the other creatures that would like a tasty morsel. Already a neighbor reports there are only 6 ducklings left. At my worksite, huge buzzards lurk near the young ducklings, waiting for some fresh meat. Here on the bayou, the neighbor suspects the large bass and other fish enjoy a rare delicacy. The neighbor reports bass, crappie, catfish, and other large species here in our little bayou and cove, although like me, he refuses to eat them because of the runoff pollution coming from our city streets.

Life in the Bayou City...beautiful in small ways!

No comments: